The City of Perry is pleased to announce the Your City Program! The Your City Program is an exciting and dynamic bi-monthly program held the second and fourth Thursday of each month from August 10 to November 9 designed to:
- Give Perry citizens an opportunity to learn about their local government and how to be an active and involved community member.
- Familiarize residents with government services, functions, programs, and activities.
- Enhance citizens’ ability to communicate effectively with local officials and city staff and with visitors to our city in an ambassador-like interaction.
- Participants must be City of Perry residents and be at least 18 years of age.
- Class size is limited to 20 participants and spaces are provided on a first come, first serve basis. Prospective participants will be asked to complete a short application.
- Programs will take place Thursday evenings, 5:30-7:30 p.m. at various locations throughout the City of Perry. Dinner will be provided at each program. There will be optional field trips associated with some of the programs that will take place the week of the program.
- Each program will begin at Perry City Hall, 1211 Washington Street, Perry, GA
- Each program will be conducted by City of Perry representatives and will provide both an informational and interactive learning approach.
- Participants will be required to attend one (1) City Council meeting or work session and the meeting of a City of Perry board of their choosing.
- Deadline to apply is July 10, 2017. Prospective participants will be notified no later than July 14, 2017 regarding their selection.
The program is structured around six strategic City topics:
- City Leadership & Government
- Economic and Community Growth
- A High Quality of Life
- Essential Local Government Services
- A Safe Community
- An Informed & Engaged Community
Participants will work towards a better understanding of:
- The relationships between citizens, Mayor and Council, governmental departments/staff, and volunteer boards/commissions
- The local governmental processes/structures under which the City of Perry operates and how Mayor and Council make decisions on behalf of the citizenry
- The ways governmental programs/projects support Mayor and Council’s established plans and goals for our community
- Local government service provision
- The budgeting process and revenues/expenditures
- Roles and functions of each City of Perry Department and volunteer boards and commissions