How do I make online payments?

We accept Visa, Mastercard and Discover credit cards. Please contact customer service at 478-988-2754 if you are making a payment for services that have been disconnected and/or you are making a payment on the disconnect date.

General Information: 478-988-2754 | Property Tax: 478-988-2740 | Utility Billing: 478-988-2754

 Click HERE to pay traffic tickets for the City of Perry
 Click HERE to pay property taxes
 Click HERE to pay your utility bill

How do I reserve a rental facility?

Online reservations are not available. For availability and more information on rentals please click here.

How do I register my child for sports?

Registration is available on-site at Rozar Park, 1060 Keith Dr., Perry, GA 31069 on Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. during designated registration period.  Registration is by parent or legal guardian only, and child’s birth certificate is required.  For more information,  click here.

How to obtain a building permit?

The Building Permits and Inspections Division is responsible for coordinating the review of building and site plans for compliance with the minimum codes adopted by City Council.  Inspections are periodically conducted to ensure buildings and site developments are being constructed in compliance with codes and approved plans.  Building codes are adopted by City Council and the State of Georgia.  The Land Management Ordinance is adopted by City Council.

Building permits are required for residential, commercial, and industrial structures; including, but not limited to structures 120 square feet and larger, building additions, swimming pools, renovations, and remodels. Permits are also required for certain electrical, plumbing, and mechanical work for all structures.

Please click here for more information about obtaining a permit.

How do I pay for my citation?

You can pay online at, our automated number 1-844-848-4748, or in person at 1207 Washington St., Perry, GA 31069

How do I change my court date?

Contact the court at 478-988-2814 as soon as possible. You are allowed one continuance without any documentation. After you have been given one continuance and need another extension you may have to provide documentation to support your request.

How do I apply for job with the City of Perry?

It is the policy of the City of Perry to foster, maintain and promote equal employment opportunity. The City of Perry is an Equal Opportunity Employer and shall select employees on the basis of applicants’ qualifications and without regard to age, sex, race, color, creed, religion, national origin, military status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Please click here for a current employment opportunities.

How do I report a water leak, sewer backing up or gas smell?

This may be a emergency.  During normal business hours, please call 478 988 2754.  After hours, please call 911.

How do I find out my trash/recycling/bulk waste pickup day?

Trash, recycling and bulk waste are picked up on the same day according to a city-wide schedule.  To determine when your pickup date is, please  call Customer Service at 478-988-2754 or click here.  It is best to put your items out the night before prior to pick up day to guarantee pick up.

How do I find out if my trash/recycling pickup was missed?

Your trash/recycling is guaranteed to be picked up according to the schedule on the day your residence/place of business is assigned.  When it is picked up may vary from week to week, but it will be picked up between 6:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.  If it is not picked up, please report through the Your Perry App or call Public Works at (478) 988-2732.

How do I report street issues e.g. pot holes, dead animals, etc.?

Please report through the Your Perry App or contact Public Works at (478) 988-2732.

How do I report a property nuisance?
Please contact our Code Compliance Specialist to report a nuisance at 478-988-2704. Common issues handled through Codes Compliance include, but are not limited to:
  • Derelict Vehicles
  • Illegal Signs
  • Overgrown grass
  • Trash/Debris
How do I find out more on the Fire Protection fee?

The City was obligated to upgrade its fire protection services.  This included doubling the size of the staff, a new fire station and new equipment.  A fire fee was considered the fairest since it ranked all heated/air conditioned structures benefiting from fire protection by square footage and risk exposure.  All single family detached homes pay the same fee.  The fee level is based on fire history.

How do I know if I have enough smoke detectors in my home or apartment?

The fire code states that each sleeping room shall have a smoke detector in addition to one outside of each sleeping area, in the immediate vicinity of sleeping rooms and on each level of a dwelling unit, including basements. 2012 NFPA 101 Chap. 24 Sec.

How do I report something that looks like a fire hazard or serious safety threat?

If you see something that appears to be immediate danger to life or property call 911 and report what you see, the dispatch center will send the proper agency to handle the problem, if however it does not pose an immediate threat or danger you can contact the Fire Marshal's Office at 478-988-2759 or after business hours and weekends the on duty Battalion Chief  at 478-338-6368 to report it.

How do I report vandalism in parks?

Please report through the Your Perry App  or email Kevin Dye, Director of Leisure Services, at