Regulatory and Licensing Requirements

Navigating the maze of regulations and requirements for licenses, permits, and taxes among the various city and state government agencies can be confusing and overwhelming. To aid you in the process, click the Guide to Starting a Business in Perry.

Please note that no guide can address regulations pertaining to every business; contact the appropriate agency or department directly to identify the appropriate process for your particular business.

  • Alcohol Sales
    • You may have certain restrictions if your business involves the sale of alcohol:

      - Proper zoning
      - May require a public hearing process
      - Setbacks from schools, churches, may apply
      - State license may be required
  • Business License
  • Business License Inspection
    • Prior to being issued a business license, an inspection at the business location must be performed by the Community Development and Fire & Emergency Services departments. Both departments will check to make sure the location is safe for the public.

      Please contact the Community Development Department at (478) 988-2720 for further information and to schedule an inspection.

      24-hour notice is required for inspection requests.
  • Coin-Operated Machines
    • A coin-operated amusement machine license is required if your business has machines which give reward tickets, tokens, etc.

      Coin-operated amusement machines giving a reward may have to meet certain setbacks. For example, you must be 100 yards from a church and 200 yards from a school.
  • Downtown Facade Grant
  • Financial Assistance
    • Depending on the proposed location, your business may be eligible for Opportunity Zone tax credits. State and federal assistance programs are also available to eligible businesses.

      Contact the Economic Development Department for more information.
  • Food Service Business
  • Home Occupation
  • New Construction
    • If you are developing a site relative to your business, there are a series of requirements the City has for:

      - zoning
      - land use
      - parking
      - signs
      - building codes
      - soil erosion control
      - stormwater management
      - and possible other areas

      The more detail you provide the quicker your application will be processed.

      Additionally, depending on your business location, the Georgia Department of Transportation and/or US Army Corps of Engineers permits may be required.

      Please contact the Community Development Department at (478) 988-2720 for guidelines to assist you.
  • Remodeling Activity
    • The Community Development and/or Fire & Emergency Services department will require a building permit and inspections if your business requires any structural changes to the building.

      Cosmetic alterations, such as painting, new carpet, etc., do not require a building permit.

      Contact the Community Development Department at 478-988-2720 and Fire & Emergency Services at 478-988-2850 for additional information.
  • Signs
    • Contact the Community Development Department at 478-988-2720 before ordering business signs.

      The City of Perry has a number of different zoning districts that regulate signage with certain variation requirements and restrictions.
  • Utilities
  • Zoning
    • Full disclosure of your proposed uses is requested prior to a zoning determination by the City.

      Please contact the Community Development Department at (478) 988-2720 for zoning information.